Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Comeback

"Give her another take! Give her another
take!"

That is a memorable quote from the now defunct Lisa Kudrow show, The Comeback. I'll be the first to admit it initially was not very funny to watch. At times, it was very painful to see Lisa's "Valerie Cherish/Aunt Sassy(sitcom character within a sictcom)" be put through various stages of humiliation.

The character of Valerie was a former sitcom star from the early 90s who was looking to make a comeback. She was offered the chance to star in a sitcom and also star in her own reality series. The reality series would follow her throughout this so-called TV comeback and would chronicle all the ups and downs of her life. Throughout the thirteen episodes Valerie was put through hell by her arch nemesis, head writer Paulie G, and through various situations she put herself into. I miss this show not because it was laugh-out-loud funny, but because it was subtle and dry in it's delivery of humor. You would like to believe that actors not on A-lists anymore are not treated that way, but they probably do get treated in such a bad way. I often felt sadness for Valerie, but she usually walked away with her dignity even though it got tarnished along the way.

I was reminded of this show because I was doing my usual reading of entertainment news online and I saw pictures of Madonna from her "Hung Up" video. I've heard it said before and I will repeat it here. Madonna is an Aunt Sassy/Valerie Cherish wannabe. You be the judge...

No comments: