Monday, January 23, 2006

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore...except unless she's on meds

Leisha Hailey, Alice Pieszecki, on the the Showtime drama, The L Word, is one of the most natural actresses on TV these days.












Leisha, out actress and ex-gf of kd lang, plays Alice as a vulnerable and funny character. Alice is going through a bad break-up with her ex-gf Dana. Well, it's only bad because Alice still hasn't gotten over Dana. So now, Alice has become this crazy obsessed woman who stalks Dana and her new girlfriend, Lara. I suppose it wouldn't be so funny except that, even if you can't or won't admit it, we've all gone through these feelings at one point in our lives. Alice keeps a shrine to Dana in her home. I would say tens of pictures and one life-sized cardboard cutout of her. I've gone as far as stalking someone to see if they were home and to, you know, see if they were home and all. However, going on many psychotropic drugs to aleviate your sorrow is probably not the best way to recovery.

I have a friend, whom we'll call "O" who once told me she'd gone as far as walking up to the guy's parked car and feeling whether or not the hood of his car felt warm. This way she would be able to tell if he'd gone out. Mind you, as she told me this we were having a casual lunch at a local eatery, and I was looking at her in utter disbelief. On the inside, however, I was thinking,"Damnit! Why didn't I think to do that?" I mean isn't that great? I was just sorry I hadn't thought of it myself. We all have our little addictions, don't we? (January 4th, 2006 entry)

I can understand Alice's sadness and obsession. I blame it on the person's inability to communicate clearly why they are breaking up with the breakee.

Just the other day at work, one of my co-workers came back from a long weekend with friends and the unexpected happened. Her boyfriend of 5 years broke up with her. She, on the one hand, thought that he was getting ready to propose, but it didn't turn out that way. Instead, he broke it off. How sad! How sad to not see it coming, but you bet he knew it was in the works for some time. They always know. The little bastards!

I'm sure the character of Alice will recover. I'm also sure my friend will recover too. It just takes time and an understanding group of friends who will allow you to repeatedly talk about the whole fiasco until you are blue in the face .

In the meantime, catch the L Word. You won't regret doing so!

No comments: