Sunday, August 26, 2007

Middle School Angst

MSH rented "Freaks and Geeks" last week and we watched the first three episodes this morning. I was never interested in seeing it back in 1999, but MSH's enthusiasm for it convinced me it was a must-see show. Too bad it didn't make it past 18 episodes because it's so good.

While watching those first three episodes, I was reminded of my friends in middle school. Not my so-called friends in class, but the true blue friends whom I hung out with. The ones who looked out for me and the ones I looked out after. I like to romanticize things a lot, but I don't think that's the case here. There's a picture of two of those friends and me in my living room. We've lost contact with one another. David D., my bestest friend in middle school, moved to VA. He visited me about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard from his since. Hopefully, one day, we'll reconnect and talk about old times, but until then I'll live with the fond memories of good times gone by.

The following clip is from Freaks and Geeks. It exemplifies the #1 reason why I chose to be in band to ditch PE. Enjoy! (Smart asses beware. It's not about the beautiful body comments. It's the fear that the kid expresses. Be warned!)

4 comments:

jason said...

No kidding? You could ditch PE at your school by being in the band?
Wow.
PE was completely mandatory at my school.
ugh

"Freaks and Geeks" was great, but I never did get to see it all that often when it came on.

And I know that picture in your apartment!

Breezy said...

Well, I wouldn't call it ditching. Band took the place of P.E. It was that way all through high school too.

Silly Monkey said...

Damn, I'd have been in band, too, if that were the case in my school. I think your school was unusual in that respect, but you were lucky! Why is it that we all hated gym so much? I used to get such stomach aches before gym class. :P

I think if you did get in touch with your old friends again, it wouldn't be the same. You've changed. They've changed. It's hard going back to being good friends with so much time and distance between you.

Marshall said...

At my high school, I took P.E. in 8th grade. I suck at every team sport! (I was good at swimming and track.)

Later, I found out that I could join band instead. I tried that for 9th grade.

Some of my friends were joining ROTC in 10th grade, the first grade it was offered, so I joined that.