Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And Then There's Maude

God will get you for that, Walter.

I fell asleep last night and woke up early this morning with a nasty sinus headache.

Sinus headaches are not like regular headaches. Sinus headaches don't necessarily throb, they just sit there waiting for you to move. It just sits there waiting for its prey to move and then it pounces with its shooting pain. Ow, ow, ow! It hurts!

Anyway, I managed to exercise this morning and that gave me some relief because it opens up my sinus passages. Then I took a shower, got dressed and ate lunch. I had every intention to leave my apartment today, but I just didn't feel like it. You know...the pain.

Instead, I decided to watch Maude Season 1 on DVD. (I need to send it back to Netflix so I can get the next Big Love DVD.)

I'd seen Maude in reruns when it aired on Nick@Nite some years back, but I never caught it in chronological order. I always felt it was way too preachy and that Bea Arthur was too loud and overbearing. After six episodes, I still feel the same although it helps to see them in order because you can see the character development that you miss otherwise.

The first two episodes were so-so. Adrienne Barbeau, Bill Macy and Conrad Bain are Maude's daughter, husband, and husband's best friend. The addition of Esther Rolle, in the third episode, is what gives the series the spice that it lacked in the previous two.


I still say *give me Bea Arthur in The Golden Girls any day*, but in a pinch I'll watch Maude.

4 comments:

jason said...

I never much liked Maude either, back as a child, but I still wanted to watch it.

Even then however, at my young age, I could see that it was overly "very serious episode" ish, if you know what I mean....the great flaw of any Norman Lear sitcom.

I remember my father not allowing us to watch it. Bonanza or something I believe came on at the same time. I only got to watch it when he happened to be asleep (which was often)

Breezy said...

Yeah, they all seem to be "very special" episodes.

I liked Good Times though.

Silly Monkey said...

I couldn't figure out what possessed you to watch Maude until your last sentence. I wasn't making the Bea Arthur/Golden Girls connection.

Wasn't All in the Family a Norman Lear show? I loved that show.

Breezy said...

Yep, All in the Family was also created by Norman Lear. There's a clip somewhere with Maude, Edith and Archie.