Friday, February 02, 2007

The Departed



Tonight, Msh and I went to see The Departed. I'm not totally sure what in the world I was expecting, but I was certainly entertained. This movie managed to be funny, dark, and tense throughout it's 2 hours plus in length. It just didn't let up. I recalled holding my breath more than once throughout it.

Here are my thoughts on the actors and their performances:

I've never been a fan of Matt Damon. I realized tonight it really hasn't been an issue related to his acting abilities. It's actually that I've always had a problem with his yucky pug nose. I have a problem. I know. I need to let it go because he had a really tricky part in this movie and he played it really well.

Leo has always been that Leo from Titanic. He was adorable in that movie. He's not the same guy from that movie here. He's created this character so full of complex emotions. You think you have him figured out, but then he mixes it up for you. He conveys his inner struggle so well in his eyes, that we almost didn't need all the exposition of his backkground.

Jack Nicholson didn't quite play himself in this movie. He could've reached into his bag of tricks and pulled out that well-known version of him, but he didn't. He was believable in the part.

As a bonus feature added to this harem of men, I got to see "man-paws" himself, Alec Baldwin. I have to say that even though he was sweaty and gross in one particular scene in a warehouse, I hoped at that moment that it had been so hot for him that he had to take his shirt off...in character, naturally. Alas, it didn't happen. Then to add to my pent up glee, as I sat in a crowded theater, he unexpectedly grabs his crotch to emphasize a point to his men. Yowzers! Man-Paws! Yowzers! I'm not sure why I have this weird almost unhealthy fascination to see this man, but I do. There!

Msh and I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was well worth venturing out to the movies on a Friday night. It actually wasn't busy. I'm glad because it meant Msh wouldn't go all panicky on me. Looking forward to taking him out to the movies on a Friday next year because I know that's how long I'll have to wait. (He knows I'm kidding.)

3 comments:

Silly Monkey said...

You wanted to see sweaty, matted fur? ICK! ;P That's the one thing I don't like about Alec Baldwin--all that body hair. He's still very attractive though.

I've never been a big fan of Matt Damon's (or his nose) either, but I'm coming around. He does have talent.

I've never liked Leo. There's just something about him. I've like a few of his things, especially Gilbert Grape. I know he's talented, but I just don't like him.

Anonymous said...

"Yowzers! Man-Paws! Yowzers!"

haha, that was sort of reminiscent of Inspector Gadget. You're so funny.

Breezy said...

Well, I try not to think of all of Alec's chest hair, so I can just admire his handsomeness. This way I don't have to think of "sweaty matted fur."