Friday, February 02, 2007

The O Chronicles

I'd like to preface this, my latest chronicle of O, by saying that I don't usually DVR O's show. I only do it when I see that she will be having a celebrity on. I have to give her props for having top notch celebrities, and I love me some good celebrity interviews. Anyhoo, on with Thursday's O.

On Thursday's show, O was featuring all sorts of different products that she finds fascinating. One of them was Spanx. Spanx are footless bodyshaping tights for women. The inventor of these tights was on the show not only to peddle her product, but to say how she'd taken $5,000 dollars and turned it into millions. Naturally, I'm thinking she's very saavy in business, but I knew there was a catch. You see, she went on to explain that her inspiration for Spanx came from you know who. O. Duh, of course. Why else would she be on there? I mean, really. She's made all these millions because O inspired her a long time ago when it was mentioned that O would cut the feet part off from her stockings if she had a run in them. Crazy. Sick. I know.

OK, so she's promoting her product. The interview is going along well, and then Spanx woman mentions that she's been trying to make the world a better place one woman at a time. Honorable? Don't you think?

Wait, it gets better.

Then she goes on to say that she's "hand-delivered" (wtf!) 278 scholarships to send women to college in S. Africa. O says the name of a city in S. Africa that I was unable to decipher, and then here's where the interview and O go down a dark path. ( I had to pause and rewind a gazillion times so I hope you all appreciate this.)

(Applause)
Spanx woman: Yeah, and you know to me the greatest part of the success is what you're able to give back and you(turning to O) are a great teacher of that.

O: Thank you. Thank you. That's the truth. That. (Pause. Then an "Oh, shit how do I get myself out of what I just said because I want to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize" look on her face)

(Applause)

O: That when you give back, it also gives back to you. (Switches subject)

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii loved it!!!!!

On a related note: Al Gore was nominated for the Noble Peace Prize yesterday.

O? Not even close.

4 comments:

jason said...

But she *is* the cause of global warming, I'm sure of it.

Breezy said...

I agree.

Silly Monkey said...

Okay, you just need to come out of the closet and admit that you're a big Oprah fan. It's so obvious. The hidden "O" magazines under your bed. The Spanx under your bathroom sink. The Vaseline. . .oh, wait, that's your other black woman, isn't it? ;)

Breezy said...

LOL. Umm,no. I'm not a fan, but I find it interesting to see her self-promotion.