Sunday, June 15, 2008

He Look-a Like-a Man

I knew going to JC Penney's would be a bad idea, but I thought I would give it a try. People must be shopping there again because there seems to be more merchandise on the racks than in years past. This is not where this story is going, but I thought I should mention it in case someone was interested.

Shopping for my father, I find, is a difficult task. He has all the electronics someone may need or want and he's not too fancy with his other tastes. So, this year, I asked what he would like for Father's Day. He wanted socks. Not just any socks. Not Goldtoe. Not dress socks. Not white athletic socks. Just white cotton socks that are not too thick and too hot for summer wear. The socks he wanted were to be found at JC Penney.

There I was, on a Friday night of all times, waiting in line to buy three packs of socks for my father when an older lady caught my attention by speaking to me. She looked like Joan Rivers because of the taught face and the restylane enhanced lips. She was a quite the sight. One might say she had a whole lot of look going on, but I applaud her for trying.

She said, "Excuse me, you look like a man. What do you think of this shirt?"

The shirt was brown with a large centered picture of a large mouth bass on it that said Gone Fishing on it. I was more offended by the shirt than I was by the "Excuse me, you look like a man" comment.

I answered honestly, "I don't like it, but that's just me."

Clearly no liking my opinion, she loudly calls her 40-something year old daughter over to explain to her that "this man", meaning me, didn't like the shirt. The daughter looks me over and says, "Of course you wouldn't like that. You're preppy. Look at him. He's a prep." She didn't say it with a tone, but I didn't like the words that were spoken.

So, after much chatter amongst them, the daughter finally decided on the same shirt only in navy.

I don't know. I wasn't insulted, but I wasn't flattered either. I tried helping, but you can't help someone who thinks a shirt with a large fish on it is attractive.

4 comments:

jason said...

"you look like a man"?
I can't think of any circumstance in which this sentence would not be insulting.
lol
But this is what you get for going to JC Penney's, I suppose.

Silly Monkey said...

LOL. You're like a HEATHER or something. ;)

What an odd thing--well, THINGS, really--to say to you.

So I hope your father enjoyed all you had to go through to get his socks.

Trixie said...

You're like Tim Gunn with the "a whole lot of look . . . " Speaking of Tim, how do you think he would have responded to that shirt?

You should have gone Nina Gggggarcia on he ass, "It's just not aesthetically pleasing."

Breezy said...

Trixie, I wish I could have summoned up Nina Garrrcia. It would have been perfect, no?