Sunday, June 15, 2008

Persuasion

I was having a conversation with a colleague of mine the other day about reading. We weren't talking about students, but, instead, we were talking about the two of us.

I have a tough time reading. I don't have the patience to sit for long periods of time and pay attention to any book. My mind tends to wander. Her experience is the same. The sad truth is that we have a hard time reading and yet we're teachers. More than one person has heard me say that I'm not a reader, but I'm trying. I started reading again back in October, and I can't seem to stop doing it now. It still takes me longer than anyone else, but I try to set some time during the day to stop and read at least two chapters. I have persuaded myself into reading more. I know it'll be a good thing. I love it already.

I'm currently reading Persuasion by Jane Austen ( I finally get her writing. It only took a whole book to get there, but I get her.)



My summer reading list:
Audition by Barbara Walters
Home by Julie Andrews
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
Finding Battlestar Galactic by Lynette Porter, David Lavery & Hillary Robson
Ordinary People by Judith Guest

It's quite ambitious, but wish me luck.

Any suggestions? (I'm afraid I won't get any, but I'm trying anyway.)

5 comments:

jason said...

Good Luck!
I've only read two of those...
But I had looked through the Julie Andrews book's pictures..and read the (boring) bit from Vanity Fair about Babs.

Marshall said...

No suggestions, I have some advice: Read books with more pictures and less words. Just kidding. (And I don't mean that the way Debbie says it.)

Seriously, maybe read short story compilations or shorter books if you are having trouble concentrating on the longer novels.

Silly Monkey said...

I'm the same way. I only read a few pages at a time, usually in the bathroom. ;) It takes me forever to get through a book even though I enjoy reading. I've usually got about a dozen going at once.

Yeah, good luck with that book list!

Trixie said...

I'm reading Audition right now. I told a friend of mine that while reading it you can't help but feel you're grammy is telling you stories.

I like how you worked in the word "persuaded" into your entry.

Breezy said...

Jason & Marshall: Thanks for the encouragement.

Silly Monkey: I try reading at least two chapters before going to bed, or at the very least one chapter at any other time during the day.

Trixie: Thanks. I'm glad it sort of happened naturally. Audition is next. Audition!