Sunday, October 28, 2007

Nouvelles et divertissement français

Striking Air France flight attendants disrupt travel for 4th day


Sunday, October 28, 2007

PARIS: Air France flights were disrupted for a fourth day Sunday with striking flight attendants refusing to give in and the transport minister asking for both sides to restart talks.

The carrier hoped to get 60 percent of its flights in the air as travelers were growing tired of inconveniences and delays despite a pledge by Air France to reimburse those unable to find suitable alternatives.

"What the government wants is that negotiations restart and succeed and that we get out of this situation of conflict," said Transport Minister Dominique Bussereau.

The strike by flight attendants over pay and working conditions was expected to last through the day Monday, with the carrier saying it expected 70 percent of flights to be operational by then.

Unions unanimously rejected an Air France proposal Saturday night, saying it was too vague.

The walkout interrupted the start of a holiday in France when airports were jammed, and there were signs that passengers were losing patience.

"I am disgusted because I have the impression we are being held hostage," said one waiting passenger at Charles de Gaulle airport, identifying herself only as Maryse.

"If we want to be reimbursed we need to wait for the final cancellation of the flight," said stranded traveler Philippe Lefort, 45. He noted that a single flight can be delayed several times in a day, meaning a daylong wait to see if the plane will take off.

From the movie, "8 Femmes"


6 comments:

jason said...

I think I would just spontaneously break into this dance upon landing in Paris.

God help the unsuspecting stranger whom I would have to accost.

Marshall said...

First there was a transit strike (no Metro, trains, busses or taxis) when Carlos, uh Breezy, Debbie and I were in Paris. Now there is a really good chance I will be trapped in France for awhile. I am supposed to fly out this Wednesday afternoon at 1:35 pm. Wish me luck.

jason said...

I hope you make it out safely...soon...and feeling better, Marshall.

Breezy said...

MSH - I hope you're able to fly out Wednesday. I wonder if the strike is over.

Stop eating dairy products, MSH. It causes a build up of mucus in the sinuses. Seriously. It might help you.

jason - It's my favorite song from the movie. It's a remake too. I can't name the original singer, but you can find it on You Tube, with the words even.

Silly Monkey said...

Listen to Carlos about the mucus. He's got experience with these things. :)

If you've ever had clogged sinuses on a plane (it can be VERY painful), you'll trust him and do as he says.

I hope you make it home on Wednesday.

Marshall said...

After a total of 22 hours of travelling, I made it home! All the details of my trip will be posted in my blog in the coming days and weeks.