Monday, May 08, 2006

Secrets and Lies

Why do we keep secrets? Do we keep them to protect others? Do we keep them to protect ourselves? Are we selfish for not telling the truth or are we just cowards?

Sometimes friends do things that they know is not right, but they do it anyway. Then they come to you seeking your advice to problems they know there is only one solution to...the truth. The problem with that simplified answer is that telling the truth will drive a wedge between existing friendships. Friendships that have existed for many years. What to do?

I don't know. Thankfully, this doesn't involve me. Unfortunately, I can't say anything more than that. Unfortunately.

6 comments:

jason said...

Gosh, it's not Oprah, is it?

But seriously, that's a dilemma...

I guess when it's gone that far, one must just bite the bullet and tell the truth.

Anonymous said...

Well then again, I think you have a secret or two as well that you're keeping from people close to you. :)

We all have something that we keep from others. I think a lot of times we fool ourselves into thinking we're protecting the other party when actually we just dont want to deal with the backlash against ourselves. Once we accept the consequences I think it's easier to tell the truth. Ya know?

Breezy said...

Yes, I agree with you both on all counts, Jason & Nolageek.

While this could apply to me too, I was not writing about me in this entry. My therapist would hear my secrets & lies and how to deal with them. Sorry to say it wouldn't be the anonymous masses online. :-)

Breezy said...

OH! And by the way...These friends of mine will be biting a big bullet should they choose to come out and tell the truth. It'll be interesting to see it play out. A Greek tragedy I am willing to bet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Will there be patricide??

Breezy said...

LOL, you never know.