Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother




I've heard it said that "A mother knows her children." Today I discovered that "A child knows his mother."

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I, like many others I hope, spent it with my respective mother. Hard as it may seem to believe, I usually plan birthdays, holidays, and other occassions that require gifts way ahead of time. This year, however, I only bought my cards a month back and that was it as far as the gift buying goes.

So Saturday I was running around looking for flowers or plants. My mother loves receiving flowers or plants. (Her thumb is very green. She could revive a dead plant like you wouldn't believe.) I decided on giving her some potted roses and dahlias. Unfortunately, the dahlia pot I chose only had one white blooming flower. That's mainly the reason why I also bought the roses. I knew my mother would notice that I had given my aunt a pot full of blooming flowers and hers only had one. I figured the roses would distract her. I knew when my sister gave her these beautiful flowers (name unknown for the time being), that my gift would not measure up. I saw it in her face, or maybe it was that I was projecting my feelings onto her as I often do with others but I knew this was not going over well. She put on a brave face, I gave her a hug and a kiss and she loved the gift.

Today, on my way home for a fake dentist appointment (Don't judge me! I had a tough week last week and I needed a break even if it was just to leave early.), I called my mother on my way home as I usually do. Some kind of way we got on the subject of Mother's Day. Wouldn't you know it? My mother mentioned those flowers I gave her. We laughed about it and I told her I knew she'd notice that her flower pot only had one blooming flower. She had, but she loved it anyway. She didn't make me feel bad about it. I know she loved the flowers even though the flowers I gave my aunt were a showier presentation. That's one of the many reasons I love my mother. She is a very giving person with lots of love in her heart for those who are close to her.

4 comments:

jason said...

As someone having a doctor's appointment tomorrow, there is absolutely *no* judging going on in this corner, believe me.
None

My mother, however, is a different story. She flips over the card just to make sure it's a Hallmark.
I still love her and all...but I'm just sayin'.... :)

Breezy said...

LOL, thank you for understanding, Jason.

Trixie said...

The best year was the year I ran the Race for the Cure 5K and gave my mom the "I am running in honor of E--- M------" and wrote a note on the back of it about how she was my hero because she'd been so proactive about getting her yearly mammograms so she caught her cancer early ... Breezy called me up and said, "You bitch . . . " Oh no, he wasn't upset that I'd made mom cry. He was upset that I'd outdone his gift.

No, we're not competitive at all . . .

Trixie said...

By the way . . . the flowers were Anne Begonias.