Thursday, June 23, 2011

Leek and Potato Soup (ala Julia Child)


Photo via Average Betty

For about 2 quarts serving 6 to 8 people
  • A 3 to 4 quart saucepan
  • 3 to 4 cups or 1 lb. peeled potatoes, sliced or diced (canned whole or cubed works too)
  • 3 cups or 1lb. thinly sliced leeks including the tender green; or yellow onions (1 large leek is enough)
  • 2 quarts of water (4 cups) - you can also use veggie broth to give more flavor
  • 1 Tb salt
Simmer the vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered for about 40 to 50 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or pass the soup through a hand mixer. Correct seasoning ( she's not kidding - I had to add more salt and veggie seasoning because it was bland)

Set aside uncovered until just before serving, then reheat to the simmer.

  • 4 to 6 Tb. whipping cream or 2 to 3 Tb. softened butter
  • 2 to 3 Tb. minced parsley or chives ( chives gives it more flavor and doesn't cut into the flavor of the leaks)
Off heat and just before serving, stir in the cream or butter by spoonfuls.

Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with herbs.

Bon Appetit!

Recipe Source: Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, & Simone Beck

I believe I found my new religion: cooking. The whole process took about two hours, but my focus was on nothing else but making this dish. I was in the zone and it felt great.

3 comments:

Marshall said...

And I got to eat the results. Really tasty!

jason said...

any recipe with the instructions:
"stir in the cream or butter by spoonfuls" is good in my book. :)

Breezy said...

Marshall: Yes, you did. My mom said she liked it, so that's high praise.

jason: Butter and cream are always good.