Saturday, March 24, 2007

(Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All - Part 1

"Last night I didn't get to sleep at all, no, no
I lay awake and watched until the mornin' light..."

I was out last night seeing The Bangles at The House of Blues with Marshall, Michael, Kurt(?), and Debbie. I'll have to write about that later because there's a lot for me to write about and I'm still, at 3pm in the afternoon of the next day, slightly sleepy and hungover.

Today is my anniversary. Marshall and I have been together for 6 years. It all begin over lunch one warm, breezy afternoon like today at Lakeview Harbor. I actually showed up early for once, and he arrived shortly after. I waited patiently inside the dark restaurant/bar feeling slightly nervous at the possibility that he may not look like the way he looked in the picture he sent when we emailed. Yes, we met online, and you know how those dates may often go.

After waiting inside for a while, I saw someone peek through the front glass doors. He quickly scanned the entrance and then he hurriedly walked back to his spot beyond my eyesight. When I saw him my stomach did a flip because I figured it must have been him. I took a deep breath and decided to go see if it was him. It's always an awkward moment when you first meet someone and you have to say the requisite, "Hi, are you (fill in the blank)?"

I opened the tinted black doors and stepped outside squinting into the bright day to find Marshall reading a newspaper and drinking a Dr. Pepper while sitting on the hood of his car. This was him trying to be "cool" he later confessed to me. I found it endearing and very much Marshall as I know him today. Happy Anniversary, B.


4 comments:

Silly Monkey said...

Happy Anniversary, Babies. ;)

Six years! Holy crap. Has it REALLY been that long? We're getting old. :o

I'm so happy that you guys found each other, and I hope that someday we'll all be invited to your 30th anniversary party. :)

jason said...

happy iron anniversary!
(or so it says that's the traditional material...hmmm)

Aaaaaaaaaanyway...I love your description:
"drinking a Dr. Pepper while sitting on the hood of his car."

Sounds like you met at the soda shop. Too cute.

Silly Monkey said...

Yeah, I was picturing Marshall in a tight black t-shirt with one sleeve rolled up, holding his cigarettes. ;)

Breezy said...

You know...everytime I think of that moment I picture him as some cool greaser from the '50s. Funny you both should say that.