Monday, August 07, 2006

Working Girl





My sister, Trixie, and I talk on a daily basis just about. She's really plugged in to the entertainment Matrix and knows all the Hollywood gossip before I get a chance to even process it. Marshall tries to keep up with me, but I have to keep up with both of them.

We talked earlier today about incidental daily stuff, but no mention of what she emailed me later on. Here it is:

"The New York Daily News reports [Jessica] Simpson is mulling over whether to star in an update of 1988's "Working Girl," which earned Melanie Griffith an Oscar nod for playing a big-haired, baby-voiced secretary with executive-level dreams.

Confirms her flack to the paper, "It is one of the scripts Jessica is considering."

Baby girl, as Valerie Cherish would say, consider no more. If you dare to even come close enough to even put your, what I presume to be fat feet, in Tess McGill's shoes, you'll be in a whole lot of trouble. Granted Melanie was drinking and snorting coke during the filming of this movie, but it just goes to show what a great acting job she pulled off while doing so. All the booze and coke in the world wouldn't be enough to get you to be as subtle as Melanie in that part. Don't. Even. Go. There.

Now, for your enjoyment, some quotes from the movie (They're all favorites so in no particular order):

1.Cynthia: Can I get ya anything? Coffee? Tea? Me?

2.[Looking through Katherine Parker's wardrobe]
Cynthia: Six thousand dollars? It's not even leather!

3. Tess McGill: I have a head for business and a bod for sin. Is there anything wrong with that?

4. Tess McGill: [to Katherine] Look, you, maybe you've got everyone around here fooled with this saint act you have going, but do not ever speak to me again like we don't know what really happened, you got me?
Katherine Parker: Tess, this is business. Let's just bury the hatchet, okay?
Tess McGill: You know where you can bury your hatchet? Now get your bony ass outta my sight!

5.Tess McGill: What if he doesn't?... pop the question?
Katherine Parker: I really don't think that's a variable. We're in the same city now, I've indicated that I'm receptive to an offer, I've cleared the month of June... and I am, after all, me.

3 comments:

jason said...

"It's not even leather!"

I like that...I may start using that in daily conversation.
(Joan Cusack, or am I wrong?...I've only seen the movie once, a million years ago)

And your sister knows more about the Entertainment industry than *you*? You're kidding, right?

btw, how is The Comeback? Is it as good as I've heard? I've never seen it.

Silly Monkey said...

I've only seen it once, and that was on "fast forward" just to find that bit part (non-speaking, I think) that David Duchovny had. He's listed as "Birthday party guest," but I think I remember it not being a birthday party. Weren't they in a bar or something?

Breezy said...

Spaces, yes that was Joan Cusack. One of my favorite movie lines. "It's not even leather."
I really liked The Comeback when it first aired. It's very dry and not very in-your-face as most sitcoms go.

J,yes, it was a wedding shower scene set in a bar. If you blink, you'll miss him.