Sunday, October 25, 2009

croque monsieur

Even though it's simple to make, I like to follow recipes until I can make them with my eyes closed.

Le Croque Monsieur according to Jacques Pepin:


He uses good Jarlsberg, Gruyère, Beaufort, or Comté ( I used Swiss in a money pinch) cheese and the best boiled ham (called Sara Lee) that I can find at my market (Rouse's). The sandwiches can be prepared ahead and baked as needed for a large party or wedding reception.

Arrange 2 thick slices white bread next to one another on the counter and cover 1 slice completely with slices of cheese. Add 1 slice ham to cover the cheese and then add another layer of cheese and ham before finishing with the other slice of bread. Spread about 1 teaspoon butter on each side of the sandwich and arrange it on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until the croque-monsieur is brown and crusty on both sides. Cool for about 5 minutes. Trim off the crust if you like and cut into 6 small rectangles. Serve hot with toothpicks.

Makes 6 mini sandwiches

7 comments:

jason said...

ah....this is what I had the other day at La Madeleine. (meh there)
And I'd remembered it so fondly from when Julia made it on tv.

Marshall said...

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try your recipe.

Breezy said...

I'll tell you, it was delicious. I'm going to try using mayo next time, but I just don't ever eat so I don't have it in my fridge.

jason said...

btw, croque monsieur seems to be something of a plot device in "It's Complicated"
Sorry...I live for coincidences.
It's how I entertain myself.

Breezy said...

Really!? I really want to see that movie now.

kewi said...

that looks nasty

Breezy said...

Aw, Kewi. Don't judge until you've tasted it. It's great comfort food. :-)